Reducing the amount of waste which ends up in landfill is a significant environmental issue across the board; one which Gympie Regional Council takes seriously. So we can look at new ways to keep our region clean and green, we need to know what is in your bin.
So, we are taking a look at your rubbish. Over the next week we are collecting 200 bins per day from all across the region. From there we will have a snap shot of what is going into our household waste.
In 2015 where we learnt that a large amount of recyclable waste was still finding its way into the waste bin and going to landfill. Showing that we are not recycling as much as we could be.
If your bin is included, don’t worry, we won’t know who you are – the bins will be collected by a truck and mixed up so no individual property can be identified.
Bin collections will be based on areas, so we can understand if there are any trends.
Council will be commencing development of its waste strategy and this data is essential to plan for the future. If you have any questions about our waste audit call 1300 307 800.
An average family generates enough waste to fill a house every year!
If you recycle by filling your household recycling bin and/or taking your recyclable waste to the local Waste Management Facility, then you are already reducing your waste going to landfill.
What more can I do?
Consider the following waste minimisation techniques to help reduce your waste that is currently going to landfill:
- AVOID - Ask youself if you really need the item. Consider how you will dispose of the item after its life.
- REDUCE - Live a litter-free or low-packaging waste lifestyle. Buy in bulk and choose long-life products and reduced packaging options.
- REUSE - Choose second hand goods, pre-loved items, and refillable containers. Choose repair over replace. Find new ways to use items.
- RECYCLE - Close the manufacturing loop and use resources again to save money, water, energy and the environment. Turn your food and garden waste into compost and liquid fertiliser.
- RECOVER - Capture the energy available in discarded products eg. collecting landfill gas from the decomposition of organic waste to generate electricity.
- TREAT - Treat waste prior to disposal to reduce its hazardous nature eg. clinical waste, regulated waste or stabilised organic waste.
- DISPOSE APPROPRIATELY - If there is no viable alternative to protect waterways, bushland and wildlife.
- how you will dispose of the packaging for items
- if similar items can be bought with less packaging
- how you will dispose of the product when you don't need it anymore?
(eg. mobile phones or batteries)
- can you buy in bulk or refill the container?
Say NO to plastic bags, take your own reusable bags.