Food business requirements

Food business licences

Council is responsible for licensing certain food premises under the Food Act 2006 and the Food Safety Standards.

The main purpose of the Food Act 2006 is to make sure that food for sale is safe and suitable for humans to eat. 

Council will make regular checks to make sure that you are complying with the licence.


Who needs a food business licence?

If you own a business that sells food, you will most likely need a food business licence.

You need to also check to see if you need to have an accredited food safety program.

For more information about accredited food safety program click here. 

Some low-risk food businesses do not need a licence, but they are still required to follow food laws. 

You will not need a licence if you sell:

  • packaged food
  • whole fruit and vegetables
  • drinks (except fruit and vegetable juice processed on site)
  • ice, including flavoured ice
  • seeds, spices, dried herbs, tea leaves, coffee or ground coffee
  • unpackaged snack food (for example, confectionary, potato chips, corn chips or nuts)
  • food sold by non-profit organisations for fundraising (for example, sausage sizzle or cake stall)
  • food provided at state government run facilities (for example, a public hospital or state school)


How do I apply for a food business licence?

To apply, complete the food business licence form and all requested information along with payment to us. 

The payment amount due is shown on the top of the form.


Take a look at the below FAQs

  • You may be need to make an application for change your food business licence.

    To apply, complete the food business licence form and all requested information along with payment to us. 

    Note: The payment amount due is shown on the top of the form.



  • First, you will need to find out if the business licence is current and that the business is compliant.

    We highly recommend that you apply for a property search to make sure there is nothing outstanding for the business.  The search includes an inspection of the premises, records search, and a written report.

    Payment is required with your application and you must have the consent of the current licence holder.

  • Yes, you will just need to complete this application for amendment of the Food Business Licence and relevant information along with payment required. 


  • It is an offence under the Food Act 2006 for a person to run a licensable food business without holding a licence to carry on the business (1,000 penalty units).

  • Your food business licence lasts for one year. A renewal fee is payable by the 30 September each year or your licence will expire.

  • Your food business licence will expire on 30 September, if you do not pay your renewal fee and supply the completed renewal application your licence will expire. You must stop operating your licenced food business and immediately reapply for a restoration of your licence. This must be made by no later than 31 October or you will need to reapply for a food business licence.

    To apply for a restoration of your licence, contact our Health Department on 1300 307 800.

  • Yes, you can apply for one of the two options we have for temporary food licences:

    Option 1:

    Temporary food premises (food stall), which can be renewed each year.


    Option 2:

    Single Event licence, which allows you to operate a stall on one occasion only, for up to four consecutive days. 

    If you need this licence more than once, you will need to lodge a new licence application.


    Payment is required upon application for all Food Business licences.

  • Lodge a customer online request or call us on 1300 307 800, or email

  • You will need to advise us in writing to


# Name Size (in bytes) Size File Type Download

Share this page

Share this page