CCTV Disclosure Notice
CCTV surveillance and recording of audio/images and vehicle registration numbers at waste management facilities.
Gympie Regional Council operates 24 hour CCTV surveillance of waste management facilities.
What information is collected?
All persons and vehicles entering waste management facilities will be video recorded. Vehicles/loads will be photographed and vehicle registration numbers recorded. Site staff may also audio record conversations in which they are participating.
Why is information collected?
Information is collected for the purposes of –
- Safety of site workers and facility users;
- Security and crime prevention;
- Complaint and incident investigation;
- Inspection of loads of waste;
- Proof of transactions/auditing; and
- Quality management.
Legal authority for collection of information is the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011.
What is the information be used for?
Photographs, video and audio recordings may be used for authorised purposes under Council’s Local Laws and Queensland Legislation, including by police for law enforcement.
Can I access this information?
In accordance with Council’s Public Space Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Policy –
- Where footage requested only discloses a single individual, who is the applicant, an access application may be made under the Information Privacy Act 2009. Find out how to make an access application here.
- Where footage discloses more than a single individual, or the applicant is not featured in the footage, an access application may be made under the Right to Information Act 2009. Find out how to make an access application here.
- Where a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is made, in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009, government agencies and/or site controllers may access footage for specific purposes outlined in the MOU.
- Footage may also be made available where Council is legally required to provide the relevant footage (e.g. by court order).
How is my privacy protected?
We will take all reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your privacy in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Information Privacy Principles contained in that Act. For more information, view our Privacy Statement.