Make a RTI Request

How do I apply for information?

The Right to Information website contains all the links and information you will need to make an enquiry under the Right to Information Act 2009 and Information Privacy Act 2009.

Before making an application contact us:

You can then make an informed decision about whether you will receive the information and if it is worth paying the application fee (if applicable).

To apply:

  • Submit the application on the approved RTI and IP Access Application Form (below).
  • Provide proof of your identity if your application relates to your personal information.
  • Provide the authority of the applicant if acting as an agent for the applicant.
  • Provide sufficient information to identify the relevant documents.
  • Submit your application with the application fee $55.75 at a customer service point or by post to PO Box 155, Gympie Qld 4570.

To pay via credit card please call Customer Contact on 1300 307 800.


Can I see all documents?

There are exemption provisions under the Act to protect essential public interests or the personal or business information of others.

There may be access limitations to information that involves operational and investigation documents. Sometimes part of a document may not be available if it contains information that is exempt.

If you are refused access to a document, or given partial access only, council must give you written reasons for the decision, and tell you of your rights of appeal.

Please note that complainant details (name, address, etc.) are generally not released.

Publicly available documents under other legislation or administrative processes, such as birth certificates, and including those available for a fee, are not available through RTI processes.

Proof of identity is required when requesting documents containing your own personal information. Personal information documents include matters of personal or private concern to an individual, such as medical records, family or domestic relationships, income, assets and financial records.


Can other people see documents about me?

Most documents concerning your personal information will be exempt to others. However, if the document is not exempt, council will contact you if it believes the disclosure would be of substantial concern to you.

If council decides to release any information against your wishes, council must provide you with written reasons as well as your rights to appeal.

No documents will be released until you have had the chance to appeal.


What happens when access is granted?

Council will let you see the documents, and if you wish, give you a copy (note: for non-personal applications, you will need to pay an application fee).

In some cases, another form may be more appropriate, such as listening to a tape recording or watching a video.

If, for some reason we are unable to make copies of documents and send them to you, we will discuss with you how, when and where you can view the material.


What if I am not satisfied?

If you are not satisfied with any decision about your application, you have the right to ask for a review.

For instance, you may have been refused access to a whole or part of a document, refused an amendment, or perhaps you are concerned that your personal or business information will be disclosed to someone else.

You have the option of applying for an:

Internal review

A person more senior to the original decision-maker will review your application and inform you of the review decision within 20 business days, including reasons as to why the original decision is affirmed, modified or overturned.

External review

You can also write to the Information Commissioner and apply for an external review. The Commissioner may change or confirm the decision made on your RTI or IP request or try to mediate a settlement between the parties.


RTI and IP application form

Publication scheme

Privacy Statement

In this section