Our natural assets are one of the reasons many choose to live, do business and travel in the Gympie region.
The region is on-track to becoming a renewable energy powerhouse, with solar farms and a world leading wind farm planned for the region.
Queensland Hydro is progressing detailed analytical studies for the Borumba Pumped Hydro Project, which are scheduled for completion during 2023.
Several larger businesses have pioneered waste to energy facilities into their operations, such as wood off-cuts, macadamia nut shells and spent coffee grounds.
- The renewable energy industry is entering a new phase of growth due to increasing customer demand and cost competitiveness.
- Powerlink Queensland's Woolooga Substation.
- Over 3.6 million consumers in South East Queensland representing a huge market for businesses in the Gympie region, with a projected 20-year growth to almost 5 million.
- Forest Wind, a $2 billion wind energy infrastructure project currently in development.
- Six solar farm projects currently proposed or in development in the region.
- Higher than average solar installations at 40 per cent, compared to other regional areas.
- Ability to attract new and advanced technology and manufacturing opportunities to the Gympie region.
- Provide reliable and efficient energy options for local industry and businesses.