What is a development?

The types of development under the Planning Act are:

  • Material Change of Use
  • Reconfiguring a Lot
  • Operational Work
  • Building Work

(Note: Plumbing and drainage work is not recognised) and is separately subject to the Plumbing and Drainage Act).

Approvals are required to be obtained for the above when specified in Council's Planning Scheme, the Planning Act and/or the Building Act and Building Regulations.  

You need development approval BEFORE you can start to build.

To assist you with the type of development application you will need, we have provided more information below:

  • You will need a Material Change of Use (MCU) application when you want to change the way a property is used. As example:

    • run a quarry
    • build an office or shop
    • build a duplex or unit complex

    You may still need to obtain building and plumbing approval.

  • You will need a Reconfiguring a Lot Application, if for example you want to:

    • Subdivide
    • change the boundary alignment between lots
    • create an access easement
  • You will need an Operational Works Application for work such as:

    • excavating/filling where the applicable planning scheme criteria are not met. 
    • installing advertising signage where the applicable planning scheme criteria are not met. 
    • road and other infrastructure works that will become a council asset.

    Unsure what type of Development Application/s you need for your project? Contact council on 1300 307 800 to discuss further.

  • You will need to submit a building application before doing most types of building work. These include:

    • building
    • repairing
    • altering
    • underpinning (foundational support to strengthen a building)
    • moving or demolishing a building
    • excavating or filling (relating to the construction of a building)

    For more information visit our Building webpage.

  • You will need to submit a plumbing application for some plumbing works. Examples include building and installing swimming pools, and water and sewer connections.

    Other activities that may need a building application include:

    • Tree works on protected vegetation on public or private land
    • Construction of driveways and crossings.

    You can combine building and plumbing applications. This may reduce the amount of paperwork you need to provide.

    Unsure whether your project needs building or plumbing approval? Talk to a private building certifier, or call council on 1300 307 800.

    For more information visit our Plumbing webpage.

Share this page

Share this page