Dwellings and additions

To help you with your building application, we have provided a step-by-step process for you to follow.

All building work must:

  • be contained within the property boundaries;
  • be clear of council stormwater or sewer drains;
  • be clear of any registered easements; and
  • not be attached to a fence dividing allotments.

Before any building work commences we recommend that you contact council to get a copy of the household drainage plan.

All building work must comply with building regulations and codes as well as council’s policies, local laws and planning schemes. However, not all work will need a development permit.

Applications that are missing key information may experience processing delays.

  • You must meet the following criteria as per the Amenity and Aesthetics Resolution 4 November 2015 Table 3 – Assessment Criteria.

    Performance Criteria

    Class 1 (including relocation and resiting dwelling houses, or the reclassification of Class 10 buildings)

    PC1 Dwelling houses are of a size, bulk and form that is in keeping with the character of the area.

    PC2 The location of the dwelling house provides for an acceptable streetscape and does not adversely impact upon the amenity of neighbouring properties.

    PC3 Resiting or relocating of a dwelling house provides for an acceptable streetscape and does not adversely impact upon the amenity of the area for an extended period of time and has a reasonable standard of construction.

  • Not all plumbing works will require approval from council. Your licenced plumber or building certifier can tell you if the work is notifiable or compliance assessable.

  • Complete the Class 1a Checklist or the Reclassification Checklist to ensure you have met all the requirements for council to process your application. 

    These are state government forms and not all questions will be applicable to your application.

  • Submit your application to council either in person at 29 Channon Street, Gympie, by emailing or by post to Gympie Regional Council, PO Box 155, Gympie QLD 4570.

    Payment of relevant fees is required when you make application.

  • When your building application has been approved, you will receive a development application decision notice and approved plans will be sent to you.

    The permit number will be at the top of the approval and we will need this number when you book any inspections.

    To book an inspection email or call 5481 0490. A minimum of 24 hours’ notice is required. Allow a one hour variation to inspection time, and one hour for the inspection to be completed.

  • The final inspection on any outstanding items and the collection of certificates. All the required information will be in your development permit decision notice.

Information for owner builders

If you are thinking about doing some building work on your own property yourself, you may need an owner builder permit.

The requirements for owner builders are regulated by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

For more information, please contact the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC):

Share this page

Share this page