Buildings in flood hazard areas

For new buildings or additions to be constructed in a flood hazard area, you will need to install a reflux valve.

This valve will stop discharge from the sewer or onsite treatment plant potentially contaminating the building during a flood event.

The reflux valve is required to be fitted between the building and:

  • if the building has an onsite sewerage facility—the on-site sewerage facility; or
  • otherwise—the sewer connection point.

Can I install and maintain the valve myself?

No, it must be done by a licenced plumber or drainer.

What code does this come under?

The Queensland Development Code Mandatory Part 3.5.

Share this page

Share this page