Noise Pollution

Residential noise that occurs early in the morning, late at night, on weekends or on public holidays can be a nuisance to neighbours. If you are considering an activity that will make noise, you should inform your neighbours. If your neighbours have any concerns, you may be able to consider options to minimise noise impacts.

If the matter is not able to be resolved through discussion with your neighbour, it is recommended that you consider contacting the Wide Bay Resolution Service to facilitate mediation. This is a free Queensland Government service that can be arranged by council.

More information on mediation services is available at Queensland Government website at:

Excessive noise from activities undertaken by your neighbour may be a noise nuisance or may be exceeding the limits prescribed in the default noise standards regulated by Council under the Environmental Protection Act 1994. If your attempts to resolve noise pollution issues with your neighbour have failed, please call us on 1300 307 800 or lodge an online customer request.

On making a complaint, Council will forward an environmental nuisance pack and nuisance diary to you to complete and return for Council to determine action required in the matter. Click here to download a copy of the nuisance pack. 

NOTE: In order to be able to take legal action in relation to noise nuisance, witness testimony, evidence and investigation must clearly identify substantial and unreasonable interference from an ongoing or repeated activity.

Council is responsible for controlling certain activities that cause noise in excess of the limits prescribed by the default noise standards in the Environmental Protection Act 1994 (the Act) which have the potential to affect the health and well-being of residents.

The default noise standards establish noise limits for each of the activities. Details of the noise limits and tips for managing noise for major activities are provided in the fact sheets listed below:

# Name Size (in bytes) Size File Type Download

Other activities controlled by Council under the default noise standards are:

  • Refrigeration equipment
  • Indoor venues
  • Open-air events
  • Blasting
  • Outdoor shooting ranges
  • Detailed information on the default noise standards can be viewed online at the Queensland Government legislation website

Complaints not investigated by council

Noise from the following activities is regulated by other agencies

In this section