Water meter FAQs

  • A water meter is used to measure the amount of water that each property uses.

  • Your water meter is usually found out the front of your property, near the front boundary inside a meter box.

  • The black numbers on your water meter represent kilolitres (kL).

    The red numbers on your water meter represent litres (L).

    One kilolitre (kL) equals 1000 litres (L).

    Council reads the black numbers (kL) and this reading is what is levied on your rate notice for water consumption.


  • We read your water meter half yearly (i.e. every six months). The number of days between meter reads can differ because we may not be able to read your meter on exactly the same dates in each half year.

  • Make sure that the water meter can be easily accessed for our water meter readers. You can help by ensuring that your water meter box is clear of dirt, mud and other debris as well as pruning overgrown plants around the water meter box.

    If you have a dog, please secure it away from the meter area during reading periods.

  • Council replaces water meters for many reasons including when the meter registers less than the actual water used, if the meter stops registering altogether or when the meter is damaged or difficult to read,etc.

    • Make sure all taps on your property are off and the meter numbers are not moving (if they are moving you many have a leak).
    • Record the reading on your meter, from left to right there should be a series of black numbers and then red numbers.

                                  The black numbers are kilolitres.

                                  The red numbers are 100's of litres, 10's of litres and then litres.

    • When you have recorded the reading, carefully measure 20 litres into a bucket from one of your taps.
    • Re-read your meter and record the reading.

    The reading on the second red dial should increases by two units and the third dial should not have changed.  


  • Your water consumption charges are included on your Council Rate Notice which are issued twice a year in January and July.

  • You are responsible for maintaining the pipes and other water infrastructure on the "house" side of the meter.

    You must:

    • keep the water meter box and protective lid in good condition
    • keep a one meter clearance around your water meter so we can safely read and repair your meter
    • protect the isolation valve/ball valve and water meter from damage (you may be charged for the cost to repair damage to the water meter, isolation valve/ball valve, water meter box or lid)
    • engage a licensed plumber for all plumbing work (although you may change tap washers without engaging a licensed plumber)
    • ensure all plumbing work connected to the council network is compliant with Plumbing & Drainage Act 2002 (for more information refer to Queensland Building & Construction Commission).


  • Where possible, council reads water meters electronically by driving or walking past the meter. A digital read of the meter is obtained without actually having to remove the lid of the water meter box.

  • If a colony of bees have made their home in your meter box, please call us on 1300 307 800 so we can arrange for removal and relocate the colony safely.

  • Council encourages residents to check their water meters and record their readings regularly, e.g. when mowing. Early leak detection and repair will reduce your water consumption costs.

In this section