Work Experience Program Update
Unfortunately, the Gympie Regional Council work experience program is on hold.
This is due to advice from the Federal Government about the spread of COVID-19.
Work Experience Placements
Our program gives real life work experience within local government.
To be eligible, you must be at least 15 years old and at one of the following:
- Secondary School
- Registered training organisation
You will need to provide the following documents at least two weeks before placement:
- A formal work experience placement agreement
- Public liability and worker’s compensation/personal accident insurance cover
- Confirmation that work experience is required as part of their study/program.
Work experience opportunities are limited to positions that:
- have low health and safety risks
- are within normal working hours (Monday- Friday, 6am- 6pm).
Work experience placements are subject to:
- Council staff availability
- time and workload restrictions.
Council tries to take on as many students as possible but cannot ensure any placements.
Preference is given to students who live or study in the Gympie region if there are too many applicants.
All work experience placements are unpaid.
Secondary students up to 38 hours.
Tertiary students up to 114 hours.
Placements for more than these hours may be considered.
Placements may be available in the following areas (other areas may be considered):
- Community Partnerships
- Customer Contact
- Disaster Management
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Planning
- Fleet and Workshop
- Lands Protection
- Marketing and Communications
- People and Organisational Development
- Planning and Development
- Record Management
- Regulatory Services
- Road Construction and Maintenance
- Technology and Business Systems
- Tourism Development
- Venues and Events
- Waste Services
- Water Business Unit
- Work Health and Safety
Some roles have special needs such as:
- General Construction Induction (White Card)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and
- Working with Children Check (Blue Card).
You must provide these documents before placement starts.
Talk to your work experience placement advisor to see if you are eligible for a placement.
Work experience placements are available twice a year.
First intake period is January to March for placement in May to July.
Second intake period is April to June for placement in August to October.
Visit council’s Current Vacancies section to apply.