Work Experience/Placement

Our work experience/placement program is a great way for students to explore career options and gain valuable on-the-job experience in their chosen profession.

This program is more than just a placement.  Students will experience a real-life recruitment and selection process by submitting a formal application for selection, attending an interview, and if they are successful, gaining a placement under the supervision of a local government professional.   

Placement availability depends on the organisation’s capacity to provide a supervised, effective low-risk on-the-job experience.  While we try to accommodate as many students as possible, we cannot guarantee that applicants will be placed. If more applications are received than placements available, preference will be given to students who reside in the Gympie region and/or study at local institutes.

All placements are unpaid.

To be eligible students must be:

  • at least 15 years of age.
  • enrolled in a secondary school, vocation education and training, or university studies that have a mandatory placement requirement.
  • able to provide a formal work experience/placement agreement and copies of current liability and worker's compensation/personal accident insurance.

Placements duration:

  • up to 1 week (38 hours) for secondary school students.
  • up to 3 weeks (114 hours) for vocational education and training/university students.

Placements may be for a consecutive period or on a regular work pattern (e.g. Monday to Friday or every Wednesday).  More than the above hours may be considered upon request.

Placement Opportunities

Council has a diverse range of work experience/ placement opportunities including:

  • Administration
  • Art gallery
  • Business
  • Civil construction
  • Customer service
  • Diesel fitting
  • Environmental health
  • Environmental planning
  • Event management
  • Finance
  • Human resources
  • Information technology
  • Libraries
  • Marketing and communications
  • Parks and gardens
  • Urban and town planning
  • Water and wastewater
  • Workplace health and safety


Some roles have special requirements such as a General Construction Induction (White Card), Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and Working with Children Check (Blue Card). It is the student’s responsibility to provide all requested special requirements.

How to apply

Opportunities are advertised under our Current Vacancies section as they become available.  

In this section