Everyone needs to manage the weeds growing on their land.

Weeds threaten our primary industries and people’s livelihoods. Council can provide advice to landholders for the management of declared weeds.

Weed Management

  • What is a weed?

    A weed is an invasive plant.  By law, some weeds must be managed.  These are the declared weeds and include:

    Some other invasive plants may also need mangement.  

    The 'Gympie Region Biosecurity Plan' describes the weeds that have impacts in our region.

  • The tools below help you work out what weed you have.

    Remember, it is also important to make sure that we look after our native plants.

    Weed ID tools:

    Invasive plant and animal fact sheets:

    Fact sheets have been produced by Biosecurity Queensland for invasive plants and animals, and contain helpful information about identifying, and ways of managing or controlling pest plants and animals. Head to this link for more info: https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/biosecurity/invasive-plants-animals/fact-sheets

    Native plant ID tools:

    Not sure if it’s an Australian native?

    Check out the plant ID keys, below.

    Flora of Australia 

    CANBR Plant Keys 

  • Deciding on a weed management strategy early allows you to plan your activities and allocate a budget for dealing with your weed problems.

    Check out the Business Queensland website for weed management strategies here.


  • Some introduced plants from other countries have become serious pests in Queensland.

    These weeds are also called invasive plants.

    See below for information on how to control all sorts of weeds.

  • All sprayers need to be calibrated regularly to work efficiently and economically. Regular calibration ensures the right amount of chemical will be applied to the target weed without costly wastage.

    Click here for boom spray and knapsack calibration calculation.

  • You can use the following strategies to prevent weeds from spreading on and from your property.

    Click for Business Queensland’s preventing weed spread information.

  • Giant Rat’s Tail grasses (GRT) – also known as weedy sporobolus grasses – are a group of related grass weeds that include four types of GRT grasses. These grasses decrease pasture productivity and reduce land values. The Weedy Sporobolus grasses – best practice manual provides valuable information in the fight against GRT.

    View manual here. 

  • The Queensland Government has amended the Vegetation Management Act 1999 with the aim to improve environmental outcomes. The changes are shown here.

  • Biological control of invasive plants (weeds) involves the use of naturally occurring, co-evolved insects, mites or pathogens (diseases) collected from the target weed in its native range. Biological control agents can reduce the vigour, size and competitiveness of weed infestations; however, they rarely get rid of them altogether. Biological control works best in conjunction with other control methods. Weed biocontrol information is provided in the links below.

  • Weed control contractors have the expertise, understanding and equipment to undertake effective weed control works on your land. Attached is a list of local weed control contractors that you may wish to contact. Council does not endorse these businesses.


    Local spraying contractors can be found here.

  • Landholders that chose to be listed on the Do Not Spray register are committing to managing the road reserve, as described below. Council will not manage vegetation within the road reserve (includes nature-strip and verge) that fronts a landholder’s property, who is on the Do Not Spray register.

    The landholder placement of Do Not Spray signage on their property boundaries is important for this process to work effectively. Council can supply appropriate aluminium signs for the landholder to erect or you may supply your own signs. Set of two signs can be provided for a cost of $20.00 (previously $50.00).

    Landholders on the Do Not Spray register MUST:

    • Keep road reserve that fronts their land free of declared plants and woody environmental weeds. Control of regrowth may be required. Please refer here for plants that should be managed. (link to https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/farms-fishing-forestry/agriculture/land-management/health-pests-weeds-diseases/weeds-diseases/invasive-plants/restricted
    • Commit to undertake any vegetation management activities (that would ordinarily be done by herbicide spraying) that may be required within the road frontage for road construction or maintenance purposes.
    • Erect signage on each approach to your property boundaries stating "NO SPRAYING". The signs must be erected so that:
      • they can be clearly seen by approaching drivers, from at least 50 metres from each direction of approach to your property.
      • they are not obstructed from the driver's view by either vegetation or parked vehicles.
    • Comply with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) when undertaking any work in the road reserve area.
    • Forward a copy of your 'organic certification' to Council (if applicable).
    • Be aware that if an inspection by Council reveals the presence of declared plants within the roadside reserve, Council will recommence spraying herbicide on declared plants within the roadside reserve.

    Do not spray registration form – link - https://www.cognitoforms.com/GympieRegionalCouncil2/GympieRegionalCouncilsDoNotSprayRegister

  • The Gympie Region Biosecurity Plan provides a guide for invasive species management in the region.   It supports the Queensland Biosecurity Act 2014 by promoting a coordinated approach to the management of invasive plants and animals.

    This plan is based on the idea that biosecurity in the Gympie region is everyone’s responsibility, and we will achieve the best outcomes if we all work together. Click here to view the plan.

  • Council has a region wide biosecurity surveillance program for declared plant and animal species assessed as posing a high biosecurity risk (HBR) to the Gympie region.

    The managers of land that contain HBR declared species will be requested to take action to reduce the risk of these pest species spreading and causing impacts to other properties.

    Contact Council to report the presence of declared plants and animals that are affecting your land or activities. For the full details on the program refer here. 

  • The Biosecurity Act 2014 provides biosecurity measures to safeguard our economy, agricultural and tourism industries, environment and way of life, from:

    • pests (e.g. wild dogs and weeds)
    • diseases (e.g. foot-and-mouth disease)
    • contaminants (e.g. lead on grazing land).

    Your general biosecurity obligation is explained here.

    For more info on this legislation visit here.

If you don’t find the answers you are looking for in the information above, or to report declared weeds to Council click the button below.

Online request

Share this page

Share this page