Tree problems and removal

Clearing trees and vegetation

It is an offence to clear trees and vegetation on roadsides without permission.

Under local law, an application needs to be made to Council to receive this permission. 

Enquiries regarding the clearing of trees on private property should be referred to the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.

Overhanging branches

If you have a concern or complaint about trees on footpaths and/or parks and garden reserves please contact us.

Complaints about trees located on private property should be referred to the owner of the property, on which the tree is located.

If the neighbours' tree branches overhang your fence or property, you may lop them. However, you may not trespass on your neighbour's land to do this. Any cut branches belong to the owner of the tree. They cannot refuse to take the branches if you are unable or unwilling to dispose of them. When returning the branches, take care not to damage anything on your neighbour's property.

By law, the owner of a fruit tree owns all of its fruit. However, tree owners may be happy to let you keep the fruit from branches on your side of the fence.

Have a chat with your neighbour to discuss the matter. Communication can avoid conflict. For effective remedies to resolve neighbourhood disputes, see neighbourhood dispute resolution.

Planting trees and vegetation

The roots and branches of trees can cause significant damage or obstruct sewers, house drains and electricity lines, and may also cause a nuisance to others. Consider the location of underground lines and overhead infrastructure, as well as visibility and pedestrian access and safety prior to planting.

Common trees which cause problems are large gum trees, figs, rubber plants, willows, mango trees, poincianas, coral trees, West African tulip trees, umbrella trees and camphor laurels.

We encourage the selection of waterwise plants for your garden.


Related information

Neighbourhood dispute resolution