Animal Management

The Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 requires domestic cats and dogs to be microchipped, and dogs to be registered with council.

The planning scheme regulates how livestock can be kept on a property.

Our local laws detail how domestic animals and poultry should be kept.

  • In the Gympie region, registration of all dogs is mandatory.

    Cat registration no longer applies, however microchipping of cats is mandatory. 

    Cats can be impounded and a release fee will apply.

    To register your dog, refer to: Animal Registration and Permits – Gympie Regional Council

  • Before getting a pet, do some research. The internet is a great place to start. Consider your lifestyle, exercise routine and find out how to care for them. Getting all the facts will help you make an educated choice and develop strategies to deal with anticipated behaviour.

    As a pet owner, you are legally responsible for your pet and its actions.

    Keeping cockatoos and roosters is not permitted in some township areas and discouraged in all other township areas, as their noise is often a neighbourhood concern.

  • Pets are to be kept in a safe, healthy and nuisance free manner that protects the environment and wellbeing of the community.

    As a pet owner you should:

    • Identify your pet
      • Dogs are required to be microchipped and registered with council.
      • Cats are to be microchipped.
      • Livestock can also be microchipped.
    • Restrain your pet
      • Animals must be contained on the owner's property at all times.
      • Exercise pets on a leash.

    Roaming animals (including stock) may be impounded.

    • Consider Others
      • Train your pet not to be excessively noisy.
      • Talk with your neighbours about your pet and encourage them to raise concerns with you directly.
      • Remove and dispose of pet litter, remember "the poo belongs to you".
  • Microchipping is the best way to keep your pet safe. Microchipping is usually carried out at your local veterinary clinic, however microchipping days are held regularly throughout the region. Your animal's microchip details are forwarded by your local vet to a national animal registry. Common registry websites are listed below. You are supplied with a registration certificate from the national animal registry once your pet's details have been lodged.

    The Animal Management (Cats & Dogs) Act 2008 requires dogs and cats within Queensland to be registered and microchipped. Limited exclusions apply.

  • If you are experiencing issues with a barking dog in your neighbourhood, there are steps that you can take before contacting council.

    Step 1 - Consider contacting your neighbour to discuss your concerns.

    Step 2 - Consider contacting the Wide Bay Dispute Resolution Service to facilitate a discussion.

    Step 3 - Lodge a formal complaint with council.

    For more information, including what is required to lodge a formal complaint, download Resolving Barking Dog Issues in your Neighbourhood.

  • If you notice roaming or stray animals, including stock, please contact council with details on 1300 307 800 or you can submit a customer request.

  • To update your registered animal’s details, please complete the change of details form.

  • All dogs must wear their Gympie Regional Council registration tag at all times.

    If your dog has lost their tag, you can request a replacement dog tag here.

  • Approval is required to keep more than:

    • two (2) dogs over the age of 12 weeks on any property, except where any additional dog is a working dog
    • one (1) or more dogs over the age of 12 weeks on any property that contains multiple residential units
    • two (2) cats over the age of 12 weeks on any property
    • one (1) or more cats over the age of 12 weeks on any property that contains multiple residential units
    • 25 birds on an urban property.

    To keep more than the prescribed number of animals, you will need to complete an application for council approval – keeping of more than prescribed number of animals form.

    Additional animal approval renewals are issued in late October each year.

    Application renewal and payment are to be received by 30 November each year.

  • There are limitations on the number of poultry, roosters and cockerels allowed on urban and non-urban properties.

    Download our keeping poultry, roosters and cockerels fact sheet to find out more.

  • Roaming dogs and cats may be impounded.

    All enquiries regarding impounded and lost dogs and cats, releasing and delivery of dogs and cats are to be directed to the RSPCA.

    Fees will apply.

    The RSPCA have an onsite office and re-homing facility at their shelter at Laurenceson Road, Gympie. Their office is open between 10am and 5pm, seven days per week except public holidays. Phone 5482 9407.

  • If you have lost your pet, check here to see if it is in the animal pound or contact council during business hours.

# Name Size (in bytes) Size File Type Download