Non-sewered sites

A large number of properties in the Gympie region are not connected to a reticulated sewerage system. The treatment and disposal of all wastewater generated on these properties must be undertaken by an on-site sewerage facility.

We keep a register of septic systems and treatment plants installed in the region.

Each On-site sewage treatment facility is attached to a licence, and the property owners are required to comply to the licence conditions, including regular maintenance.

A septic system is not an on-site sewage treatment plant. It is called an on-site sewage plant.

New plumbing and drainage work

Not all plumbing works will require approval from council. Your licensed plumber or building certifier can help you determine if the work is notifiable or permit work.

A Queensland geo-technical engineer or soil evaluator can provide advice about the type of system that will be best suited for your property.  Council staff are not able to make any recommendations.

Notifiable works

Notifiable work extends the amount of work a plumber or drainer can perform without a local government permit or any requirement for mandatory inspections.

Notifiable work includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes and some plumbing and drainage work on commercial buildings. 

Tell me more about notifiable works.

Permit work for plumbing and drainage work

Applications must be lodged to gain approval for the permit for plumbing and drainage work.

My plumbing application is for a:


Related information

Department of Housing and Public Works - plumbing


Onsite sewerage facilities

Plumbing non sewered sites