When we investigate complaints about dust, we consider the:
- amount of dust being emitted
- duration and rate of emission
- characteristics and qualities of the dust
- sensitivity of the environment into which the dust is being emitted and the potential impacts
- view of other neighbours or complainants.
How can I reduce my dust emissions?
- Have a work plan.
- Consider weather conditions before starting work.
- Retain vegetation - even low or small amounts of vegetation can significantly lower wind speed and reduce the amount of dust leaving a site.
- Use any onsite waste as a dust barrier.
- Erect a dust fence.
- Water topsoil.
- Use products such as hydromulch for large areas.