Woolooga/Sexton/Miva fires recovery
Last updated 26/07/2019 at 3.33pm
Assistance for fire impacted residents/property owners
The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) can assist residents and property owners in the Gympie region by providing guidance and information throughout the insurance claims process.
If you need assistance, please call the ICA's 24-hour disaster hotline on 1800 734 621.
Specific information relating to bushfires:
Weed Prevention after Fire
Following bushfire and subsequent rain, landholders need to be ready to combat new or returning infestations of weeds such as Giant Rats Tail Grass and Parthenium.
Contact Council's Land Protection Team on 1300 307 800 if you would like assistance with weed management for your land.
Finances, Health and Wellbeing
Financial information and legal advice
- For primary producers: Department of Agriculture and Fisheries phone: 132 523
- Rural Financial Counselling Service (Gympie): phone 0428 755 708
- Financial Literacy and Resilience Program (FLARP) Gympie: phone 5343 7525
- Farm and Rural Legal Service, Legal Aid: phone 1300 65 11 88
Local counselling, psychological and welfare services
There are a range of local services that provide counselling for people of all ages, with no GP referral required.
- Artius: phone: 1300 219 658
- Headspace: phone: 5482 1075 (for young people 12-25)
- Gympie and District Women’s Health Centre: phone 5483 6588
- Uniting Care Gympie: phone 5480 3400
Emergency relief vouchers, support and food hampers are also available in Gympie:
- St Vincent de Paul: phone 0409 421 281
- Gympie Community Place: phone: 5482 1147
- Salvation Army: phone 1300 371 288
- 1300 MH CALL - 1300 642 255 (24/7 Queensland Health)
- Lifeline 13 11 14 (24/7)
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 (24/7)
- Parentline: 1300 301 300
- Mensline: 1300 789 978 (24/7)
Fire update - 23/9 - 5pm - Message from the Mayor
23 September 2018, 5pm
"With the fire command centre closed at Woolooga, visiting fire crews and volunteers are now on their way home.
To all who attended and fought this fire and those on the ground supporting the crews, thank you for going above and beyond to keep our community safe. The work that you do is outstanding.
We’re now out working and talking with the community to understand how we can best help, and will update everyone who would like to continue to support residents over the next 24 hours."
Mayor Mick Curran