The past in print
Hugo du Rietz: Swedish noble, architect, farmer and a founding father of Gympie
Author Linda Atkinson shares the story of one of Gympie's founding fathers, Hugo du Rietz.
Hugo du Rietz was the architect behind such heritage buildings as the School of Arts in Nash Street, the Surface Hill Church in Channon Street, the Royal Bank of Queensland (now offices) in Mary Street just to name a few. The family were also major contributors to the dairying industry in the region.
The book is free to download on the link below.
Hugo du Rietz by Linda Atkinson (PDF 12MB)
The Gympie Goldfield 1867-2008
Authors John Ferguson and Elaine Brown tell the full story of one of Australia's most productive goldfields and celebrate Gympie's role as the town that saved Queensland.
Richly illustrated, and painstakingly researched, this book describes the growth of the local community, explores the prosperous eras of alluvial mining, shallow reefing and deep reefing, and discusses modern efforts to revive gold production.
In 2010, this book received a National Trust of Queensland Bendigo Bank Heritage Award.
Wild Heart Bountiful Land
Produced by the Queensland State Archives in partnership with Cooloola Shire Council, Wild Heart Bountiful Land is an historical overview of the Mary River Valley.
Cooloola Shire… a golden past
In 2001, Cooloola Libraries published "Cooloola Shire...a golden past". The book details the history of the shire and includes many photos.
Gympie Town Hall
The Gympie Town Hall was officially opened on 4 March 1891 and the first Council meeting held on that date with John L. Matthews as Mayor.
The booklet outlines the history of the Gympie Town Hall and the baby clinic on Mellor Street.
Founding Fathers of Gympie
This is a history on Edward Bytheway, a most prominent founding father of Gympie who made significant contributions to the development of Gympie between 1867 and 1905.
A hardback version can be purchased from the Gympie Regional Gallery Shop for $40. Phone 5481 0733 or email email@example.com
Doctors of Gympie
Local author, Linda Atkinson has been researching the first doctors in Gympie. Each book is a delightful reminiscence of their life in the pioneering days of Gympie.
Ron and Yvonne Turner are volunteers assisting in the preservation of lighthouses in Queensland. Ron is a retired National Parks Ranger. They have graciously shared 2 books they have written on the lighthouses at Double Island Point and Bustard Head.
Gympie and the railway
Learn about the history of the railway in Gympie from the 1880s to the 1990s.