Types of building work


Role of a building certifier/private certifier

A certifier is responsible for assessing whether proposed building work complies with all relevant provisions of the Building Act 1975 and associated regulations and standards.

Our building certification team can assist with building related enquiries and the lodgement of development applications for building work including:

Our team is based in Gympie and issue development approvals for building work within the Gympie region. A building certifier is available at the Kilkivan office by appointment during office hours.  For further information, contact us.

The approving certifier must also carry out inspections to determine if the building work complies with the approval. 

While a certifier can provide general advice about compliance of building work with the legislation, they are not permitted to design the building or carry out any of the work. You should seek specialist advice on building applications from the appropriate design professionals.

A certifier can only issue approval for building works. Approvals in relation to plumbing, planning, sitings, bonds and development can be issued by the regulatory sections of council or state authorities and referral agencies. However, a certifier cannot issue a building approval until the all other necessary approvals have been granted. 

Self-assessable building work

Some minor building work is self-assessable as specified under the Building Regulation 2006, Schedule 1. While a building permit is not required for self-assessable development, the owner is responsible to ensure works comply with any applicable standards, such as structural adequacy, size limits, Building Codes of Australia, other applicable codes and the Gympie Regional Council's Planning Scheme (the planning scheme) or Queensland Development Code or local laws. Owners should contact us to discuss their proposal before starting any work. Examples of self-assessable building work include:

  • class 10 buildings and structures up to 10m² in area and under 2.4m in height with the mean height not exceeding 2.1m with no side greater than 5m such as a small tool shed, garden shed, stable, fowl house, unroofed pergola, lawn locker, gazebo, unroofed deck not higher than 1m above natural ground level, greenhouse or the like
  • a retaining wall less than 1m high (providing that no loads are imposed above it, such as a building or driveway or within 1.5m of another building, including other retaining walls)
  • particular filling or excavation works
  • a fence not more than 2m high (but not including swimming pool fencing)
  • fastening minor attachments like sunhoods projecting no more than 1m from the building, sun blinds and roof ventilators
  • signs detached from a building, not higher than 2m and no wider than 1.2m.

Exempt building works

Some building work is prescribed as exempt development by the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and detailed under the Building Regulation 2006, schedule 2 and does not require a building permit. Owners are responsible for compliance and should contact us to discuss their proposal before starting any work.

Exempt building work applies to minor structures and includes:

  • attaching sunhoods to an existing building, if each sunhood is less than 2m²
  • special structures and playground equipment (excluding cubby houses) that are no more than 3m above their natural ground surface such as sporting equipment, garden furniture, temporary market stalls, minor plant and equipment covers (they however must be under 10m²)
  • erecting tents only if the tent's floor area is not more than 100m²
  • class 10 buildings or structures complying with the Building Regulation 2006, schedule 2 and section 4 (2).


Related information

Building in the region

Contracted building

Inspection timing

Owner building