Starting a new food business
Do I need a food business licence?
A licence must be obtained from us to conduct the following food business activities:
- making food for wholesale by combining ingredients
- bottling or canning food
- packing unpackaged food, other than unprocessed primary produce.
- making and packaging of ice (with the exception of making ice at a particular venue for use at that venue).
- making biscuits or cakes for retail sale for profit (for example, baking at home, then selling at stalls, markets or fetes etc).
- significantly changing the condition or nature of food by any process such as milling flour, peeling, cutting or freezing vegetables.
Sale of unpackaged food by retail (not a not-for-profit organisation)
- a restaurant or delicatessen
- a catering business
- a takeaway pizza shop
- a motel supplying meals with accommodation
- a food business selling unpackaged food from a motor vehicle or vending machine.
Sale of meals prepared by a not-for-profit organisation at a particular place on at least 12 days each financial year
- a restaurant operated by a sporting club to raise revenue for the club
- a non-profit organisation preparing and selling meals to homeless persons at a homeless persons' hostel
- the preparation of meals by Meals on Wheels.