Vulnerable Persons Disaster Management Forum
Date : Tuesday 9th May 2023
Gympie Regional Council is hosting a Vulnerable Persons Disaster Management Forum to raise awareness for vulnerable persons and improve their support and resilience before, during and after disaster events.
The Forum will be facilitated by:
- Ms Cindy Buchan, Bravo Disability Support Network and Member of the Gympie Local Disaster Management Group
- Ms Lorelle Hatch, Manager – Governance, Integrity and Risk, Gympie Regional Council and Deputy Local Disaster Coordinator, Gympie Local Disaster Management Group
- Mr Peter Harkin, Emergency Management Coordinator, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services and Member of the Gympie Local Disaster Management Group
RSVP’s are essential as spaces are limited. Please RSVP to email@example.com by 1 May 2023. If you are unable to attend, but would like to register your interest for future events please get in touch via the email above or by phone 1300 307 800.
The complete agenda for the forum can be viewed here
During the warmer months, the risk of bushfires in the Gympie region increases. Get to know your risk of bushfires and have your plan ready to stay safe.
Make sure you keep up to date with the latest news from:
- Bureau of Meteorology (BOM)
- Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) and
- Rural Fire Service Queensland.
Take a look at council’s Disaster Dashboard for road conditions, power outages and river heights during a disaster in the Gympie region.
Remember to stay tuned to your local ABC Radio station for the latest updates following a weather event.
Disaster Management in Queensland - Awareness
Take a look at this short video which shows how disasters are managed in Queensland.
Disaster Management in Queensland
Disaster Management Plans
Gympie Regional Council has prepared a Disaster Management Plan which sets out council’s decision making process.
The Flood Recovery Plan 2022 provides an overview of recovery activities to be delivered in the Gympie region to 30 June 2024.
The 2019 Gympie CBD Flood Plan is designed to reduce the impact of flooding on Gympie's CBD.
The flood plan applies to businesses in the following areas :
- The flood prone area bounded by Channon Street, Nash Street, Young Street, River Road
- The Monkland Street intersection with the Bruce Highway
- Around Jane and Violet Streets
- The One Mile Ovals.
Please note: The 2019 Gympie CBD flood plan is currently being revised.
When it comes to extreme weather events in Queensland, it’s not a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when’. That’s why every household must be ready to respond if disaster strikes.
Get Ready Queensland helps communities to minimise the impact of natural disaster on their community.
Now is the time to ‘Get Ready’. Prepare your ‘WHAT-IF’ plan today.
Click here to take the Get Ready Queensland Challenge, and interactive online game.
Share this page