The lighting of fires on residential zoned land in the Gympie region is prohibited. This includes all fires, including those less than two metres in any direction, burning garden or other rubbish in an incinerator, and outdoors fires on vacant land or on roads.

Dispose of garden waste at one of our waste management facilities or transfer stations for shredding. Alternatively use the waste as compost and mulch in your garden.

Fires directly associated with the bona fide use of any appliance or equipment for cooking or heating purposes are acceptable when keeping smoke to a minimum.

In non-residential areas, permits are required for fires greater than two metres in any direction. Obtain a fire permit from your local fire station or your Rural Fire Service fire warden. Fire wardens check the conditions are right for burning and can arrange assistance quickly if the fire gets out of control.

If you burn without a permit, you may be issued with an on-the-spot fine.

Smoke and fume nuisance

When we investigate concerns about smoke and fumes, we will consider:

  • the amount of smoke or fumes being emitted;
  • how long the smoke or fumes are emitted for, and the characteristics and qualities;
  • the sensitivity of, and impact on the environment;
  • the view of other neighbours or complainants.

How can I reduce the smoke emissions from my chimney?

  • Choose firewood carefully - wet or green timber produces more smoke than dry aged timber.  Do not burn manufactured timber products (eg. chipboard) or treated/painted timber.
  • Stack wood under cover in a dry ventilated area - wood should be air-dried for at least eight months before it is ready to burn.
  • Burn the fire brightly – at brightly burning fire with air controls open produces less smoke.
  • Keep air controls open at night - do not shut the air controls overnight as this causes excessive smoke.
  • Clean and maintain your chimney at the beginning and end of winter each year.

Smoke alarms

Smoke alarm laws require all homes and units throughout Queensland to be fitted with smoke alarms. If your home was built before 1 July 1997, and you don't already have smoke alarms installed, you will need to buy and install at least one nine volt battery operated smoke alarm. If your home was built after 1997, it should have had at least one 240 volt (hard-wired) smoke alarms installed at the time it was built. This is a requirement under the Building Code of Australia (BCA).


Related information

Home Fire Safety Planning

Roadside burning

Rural Fire Service fire warden finder

Smoke Alarms

Winter fire fact sheet

Winter fire safety checklist