It is an owner's responsibility to ensure their building structures comply with appropriate legislation and standards.
At times, we become aware of building structures (including fences and retaining walls) that do not meet the required standard.
We have usually received this information in one of three ways:
- a customer has submitted a customer request to have the matter investigated
- the problem was discovered during a property search
- a council officer noticed the problem while performing other duties.
We may issue you with:
- a show cause notice by which you are given an opportunity to explain why you are non-compliant.
- an enforcement notice by which you are ordered to remedy the issue in a certain way and in a certain timeframe.