Building Better Communities
Council has partnered with the Brisbane Broncos to deliver the Building Better Communities Program in schools across the region.
The partnership involves collaboration with local services and topic experts to give young people the right messages at the right time.
The aim of the program is to inspire young people to be the best they can, so that they can help create better communities.
- Personal development and education sessions on topics such as active lifestyles, drugs and alcohol, social media and respectful relationships.
- Sessions are delivered by former Broncos player, Gympie region resident and father, Darren Burns.
- Students from year 5 to year 11 can participate.
- Council funding covers program costs so that all schools can participate.
Schools can select from the following packages to supplement other well-being programs being run at schools:
- Smarter Choices Program - delivered to year 6 students: goal setting, active lifestyles, self-responsibility, drugs, family and domestic violence.
- Win at Life - delivered to secondary school students: personal branding, social media, respectful relationships, achieving your dreams.
- Boys 2 Men - education for boys including appropriate behaviour, goal setting, team work, volunteering.
- Betterman Program - evidenced based personal development and mental health promotion program for young men in the senior years of schooling.
How to get involved
The program is funded until December 2019.
Download the following information flyers and contact Darren Burns on 0412 809 108 or by email at darrenB@broncos.com.au to discuss participating in the program.
For further information, contact Council’s Community Development Team on 1300 307 800 or via email at email@example.com.