In the Gympie region, registration of all dogs is mandatory.
Cat registration no longer applies, however microchipping of cats is mandatory. Cats can be impounded and a release charge will apply.
Dog registration renewals
The current registration period is from 01 November 2021 to 31 October 2022.
How to register your dog
To register your dog, you will need to:
- Complete the 2021-22 Dog Registration form
- Submit copies of related documentation (such as microchipping and desexing certificates)
- Forward all of the above with any fees and charges to Council at:
Town Hall, 2 Caledonian Hall, Gympie;
Kilkivan Branch Office, 26 Bligh Street, Kilkivan ;
29 Channon Street, Gympie; or
you can post to PO Box 155, Gympie, Qld, 4570
Fees and charge are accepted by cash, cheque, money order, EFTPOS, or credit card.
Change of details
To update your registered dog's details, please complete the online Change of Details form.
Replacement Tag Request
All dogs must wear their Gympie Regional Council registration tag at all times. If your dog has lost their tag, you can request a replacement dog tag here
Additional animals permit
Additonal animal approval renewals are issued late October each year. Application renewal and payment is to be received by 30 November each year.
It is a requirement of Gympie Regional Council Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Keeping of Animals) that an approval is required to keep:
- more than two (2) dogs over the age of 12 weeks on any property, except where any additional dog is a working dog
- one (1) or more dogs over the age of 12 weeks on any property that contains multiple residential units
- more than two (2) cats over the age of 12 weeks on any property
- one (1) or more cats over the age of 12 weeks on any property that contains multiple residential units
- more than six (6) poultry on an urban property less than 800m2
- more than 20 poultry on an urban property that is 800m2 or greater.
- more than 25 birds on an urban property.
These approvals expire on 30 November each year and are required to be renewed annually.
To apply for an approval to keep more than the prescribed number of animals, you will need to complete an application for Council approval.
The fees associated with keeping additional animals are:
- Initial Application fee - $294.00
- Annual Renewal fee - $65.00
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 307 800.