Animal management



Registrations now due

From 8 October, households throughout the Gympie region will receive their animal registration renewal notices. Registration payments are due 31 October 2019 and can be paid online at

For those in our community with more than two dogs, your renewals will be coming a little later ... so expect them in early November for a due date of 30 November 2019.



The Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 requires domestic cats and dogs to be microchipped, and dogs to be registered with Council.

The planning scheme regulates how livestock can be kept on property.

Our local laws detail how domestic animals and poultry should be kept.

Choose the right pet

Before getting a pet, do some research. The internet is a great place to start. Consider your lifestyle, exercise routine and find out how to care for them. Getting all the facts will help you make an educated choice and develop strategies to deal with anticipated behaviour.

As a pet owner, you are legally responsible for your pet and its actions. Keeping cockatoos and roosters is not permitted in some township areas and discouraged in all other township areas, as their noise is often a neighbourhood concern.

Responsible pet ownership

Pets are to be kept in a safe, healthy and nuisance free manner that protects the environment and wellbeing of the community.

As a pet owner you should:

  • Identify your pet

Dogs are required to be microchipped and registered with Council.

Cats are to be microchipped.

Livestock can also be microchipped.

  • Restrain your pet

Animals must be contained on the owner's property at all times.

Roaming animals (including stock) may be impounded

Exercise pets on a leash.

  • Consider Others

Train your pet not to be excessively noisy. 

Talk with your neighbours about your pet and encourage them to raise concerns with you directly.

Remove and dispose of pet litter, remember "the poo belongs to you".

Barking dogs

If you are experiencing issues with a barking dog in your neighbourhood, there are steps that you can take before contacting Council.

Step 1 - Consider contacting your neighbour to discuss your concerns
Step 2 - Consider contacting the Wide Bay Dispute Resolution Service to facilitate a discussion
Step 3 - Lodge a formal complaint with Council.

For more information, including what is required to lodge a formal complaint, download Resolving Barking Dog Issues in your Neighbourhood


Roaming or stray animals 

If you notice roaming or stray animals, including stock, please contact Council with details on 1300 307 800 or you can submit a customer request


Additional animals

Approval is required to keep more than:

  • Two dogs on the one property

  • Two cats on the one property

  • 25 birds on an urban property.


Council’s registration period for keeping more than the prescribed number of animals on a property has changed and now runs from the 30 November 2019 to 1 December 2020. 

If you have additional animals on your property, a reminder notice will be sent to your mailbox late October 2019 with payment required by 30 November 2019.



Poultry, roosters and cockerels

There are limitations on the number of poultry, roosters and cockerels allowed on urban and non-urban properties. Download our Keeping poultry, roosters and cockerels fact sheet to find out more.

For more information contact Council on 1300 307 800.



Related information

Animal pound

Animal registration

Local laws

Planning scheme

Registration and identification